I've received a few question via email that I've decided to answer on the blog...
Q. How do people respond to Elise?
A. Many are stunned, can't help but stare. Tonight we went to the community pool across from the Alfred's and I really felt like we were on a stage and in a spotlight. :) One thing Elise doesn't like is when people crowd around her and touch her (this happened at church). A common response to a baby here is to gently pinch their cheek. Well, Elise does not care for this. She let's people know it by saying "no no no" or her made up word "bow" which means no or stop.
Q. Do I walk to the shops alone?
A. Yes, I did this morning by myself while Elise stayed with Claire and the boys. I'm not sure if I will go much with Elise while the Alfred's are away. I'm sure I will a few times. It is very close to the house and the people are all very friendly. Josh and Ben go there by themselves often. The only problem is that, although Claire has a stroller that we can use, the streets here are not stroller friendly at all. We have our backpack for Elise but it's in the 90s everyday and very humid, so that would be a bit uncomfortable. Either option would draw a lot of attention as well. Maybe Elise could walk with me and I could carry her as needed???
Q. Do people approach me and try to sell or barter with me?
A. No, not at all. I know this happens in Mumbai, but not here in Thane. All prices at the local shops seem to be set and fair. If people did approach me I would probably be less likely to go alone and/or with Elise.
Well, Elise is down for the night, well... for now, and I should get ready for bed as well. Is tonight the night we sleep??? I'll keep you posted!
Monday, November 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Thanks for answering all those questions. Funny they were questions that I was having about your experience there. Hope Elise doesnt miss Ben and Josh too much while they are away. Andrea I think you should tell Toby that you like the idea of a maid coming twice a day, cooking the meal etc. Because, then you could really focus on what is important in life, "ELISE" of course.
love you all
Post a Comment