Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Falling into a rhythm...

We have been managing well while the Alfreds have been on holiday. Elise enjoyed her third straight night of good sleep, and Toby is on schedule with sleep as well. As for me, I'm still a work in progress. Most nights I feel tired around 9 or 10, but then I get a burst of energy that keeps me awake late into the night. Last night I tossed and turned until 3 or so. Oh well, Elise takes a 2-3 hour nap each day, so maybe I'll join her.

Toby has been working at JSK, the HIV/AIDS clinic, this week. I've invited him to describe his experience in his own blog entry, so he probably will soon. For now I'll share what I know. JSK has 12 employees, most of whom are social workers who go on home visits to the local slums. There is also at least one doctor who stays on site to see patients. Toby has spent the week working on a chart review (for a research project he's doing with his good friend Bryan Sauer), seeing patients at the clinic, and visiting clients in the slum with a social worker. As I sit here in the luxury of the Alfred's home, it's hard for me to imagine the life of families in the slums, especially of those suffering from HIV. We have been invited to one of the "homes" for dinner sometime. Maybe we'll go when the Alfreds are back and when we can leave Elise home with them???


My life with Elise here at the house is falling into sort of a rhythm. We start our day around 8:30am with our normal morning activities, and then Kashibai arrives around 10. She always takes time from her housework to play with Elise. She'll often take Elise into the back garden and show her the flowers, usually picking a few to put in Elise's hair. Today the three of us took a walk around the neighborhood (one small loop that goes around the playground and pool). There are always many people working outside (i.e. the garbage man, men doing tile work on a wall, women doing gardening) and they always stop to stare at us. Yesterday Kashibai brought cookies to share with us. I'm not sure what her living conditions are like, but I do know that she works 11 hours everyday, 7 days a week and that she commented to me that her house is very small. So, it's difficult to see her doing the housework here and then sharing cookies with us that she purchased. Of course, I always help her when I can, but often she shoos me away.

Around noon Kashibai leaves and Elise eats lunch and gets ready for her nap. This is my chance to do our laundry (if the power is on), read, journal, use the Internet, etc. At 4pm, Kashibai comes again. Today I told her not to come but to finish early and rest. She seemed extra tired today and her leg was bothering her. Anyway, while I may not be spending much time touring the Mumbai area, I am learning a lot from this kind, hard-working woman.

It has been a bit cooler here the past couple of days - in the low 90s. :) We've heard reports of snow back home, and I must say I am so sad to miss the first snowflakes!

I'm dreaming of a white landscape...
Andrea

P.S. I need to give a shout out to my brother Carson - HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARSON! We hope you have a great day! Also, we have some news to report. Our good friends Bryan and Betsy Sauer are the proud new parents of Edward Diego Sauer, born on 11/6. Congratulations!

No comments: