Sunday, November 04, 2007

ups and downs

Overall we are doing well, but our sleep troubles have continued. Elise's little body has been resisting the time change. Last night she was up from 11:30pm to 4am. She cried on and off during that time and became quite hysterical by the end of that period before finally surrendering to sleep. Since we left last Monday she has not slept for more than 4-5 hours at a time. At home she sleeps about 11 hours every night. It's very hard to force her to sleep and see her so upset, and I begin to feel that the trip is too much for her and she'll be miserable the next day. But each new day she is her same happy, curious, adorable self, laughing and playing and singing as if her sleep schedule has been normal.

Last night was the first night that Toby and I felt like we could sleep (of course, we didn't really because of Elise), and we think our sleep troubles have been compounded by our reaction to our anti-malarial medicine called larium. Insomnia, anxiety, dizziness, and vivid dreams are common side effects, and I've been experiencing all of those. Toby also thinks his sleep troubles are larium related (maybe Elise's as well???). So, we are following the advice of Dr. Alfred and stopping our medication. Elise will probably take a different med to protect her. We'll figure that out before Stephen leaves tomorrow. The point is, we are in need of prayer, prayers for sleep and protection from malaria.

We went to church today and it was a wonderful service. You should have seen Elise watching everyone and imitating them as we prayed. She was an angel for the entire 3 hours! (We had been there for a couple of hours and I thought church was over, but everyone started to sit down again and focus their attention to the front. I asked Toby what was going on and he replied, "The church service is starting." ) Elise really liked the children's part of the service when Toby and I had the pleasure of teaching the children two of Elise's favorite songs ('Jesus loves the little ones like me' and 'Running over').

We had a great nap this afternoon. Elise slept for 3 hours and woke up very happy. Will tonight be the night we all finally sleep??? I pray that it is!

Missing home but doing well,
Andrea

2 comments:

Kathy Long said...

We love you and continually to pray and pray for you. We are specifically asking God to help Elise sleep. Thanks so much for the newsy journals. WE love hearing all about your experiences. Wish we could have joined you for worship. Thanks for keeping us in touch with everything you are dealing with. I called Grandma Button tonight and asked them to especially pray for rest for all of you. We send our love and prayers, Gamma long and Mom

Laurie Jastifer said...

We continue to pary for you guys as well! Thanks for the updates and keep them coming:) Church sounded amazing! ENJOY INDIA!