Friday, November 02, 2007

sleep troubles

The good news is we are healthy and enjoying the love of the Alfred family during this adjustment phase. The bad news is that the time difference has been extremely challenging. Once again Elise was up at 2am, wide awake and ready to play, and Toby was totally unable to sleep until 5:30am. I woke him up at 10am not wanting him to sleep too much during the day. Of course, the incredible lack of sleep is taking a bit of a toll on us. Elise is handling it the best, but Toby and I find ourselves dizzy, light-headed, and unable to function well.

Elise is as happy as can be. Josh and Ben are her new best friends. Yesterday (was it yesterday???) Claire took me to D-Mart the large grocery store. In all the chaos of this busy, bright market she didn't want to hold my hand. She would only hold Ben's. :)

The Alfreds leave for vacation on Monday. They will return on the 14th. So, I am busy learning everything I need to know to live here without them, such as...
-when the electricity is out each day
-where the shops are and how to get there
-how to phone the driver for a ride
-when their household employee arrives to cook and clean
-how to buy eggs from the man who rings some bell out on the street
-where to put the milk jug outside so that we receive milk that must then be boiled
-how to take care of the trash, which apparently is collected each day at the door by a man who does not speak English (I've already forgotten the Hindi word for trash)

India is such a crazy place. In the Alfred's home I am very comfortable, but being out and about is pretty overwhelming. Today we went to the mall and I was shocked by the contrasting images. Outside all the streets are filthy and falling apart in many places and there are the extreme poor living on the street and approaching you for a handout. It's so sad. It's been so difficult to process. Once inside the mall, it is clean, bright, air conditioned. We walked through a department store not too different from a JC Penney and then ate lunch at Pizza Hut (to celebrate Josh and Ben's last exams today).

Well... we're heading to Stephen's parents' house for dinner soon. I should get going.

XOXO from India,
Andrea

2 comments:

Cyndi Coates said...

I was sorry to hear you are still on U.S.A. sleep time.....praying for a good night sleep for all:) It is so amazing how little ones adapt to their new surroundings with less trouble than us adults. I really miss not being able to call you and hear your voices. Stay calm:)....I love you! Mom/Nana

Anonymous said...

What an exciting time this is for all of you! Know that you are in our prayers everyday and we'll now be praying for SLEEP!!!
Short updates on people in UP:
Ole John Schuldt looks just like his big bro. Everyone is doing great.
Jim took his CS and is glad it's over. Ethan is doing the belly crawl. Laurie looks great!
We are all feeling super comfie in your sweet house...it's very peaceful!
You are in our thoughts and prayers! God Bless You!