I've been too busy to blog! Sorry for not updating sooner. I'll try to fill you in on what we've been up to...
On Friday evening the Alfred's hosted a going-away party for their friend Bernice, a young woman from their church. Their home was filled with about 20 young people and a HUGE pot of biryani (a special sauce with rice and chicken pieces) served with yogurt and chopped tomatoes and red onions on the side. It has an interesting flavor, but I think it's pretty good. Stephen asked Toby and me to lead the group in some games, so we taught them 'Rhythm', a hand-clapping game that we've played at Mom and Dad Long's, and some crazy pick-up-the-paper-bag-with-your-teeth game. After each round you cut the bag shorter and watch people do all sorts of crazy things with their body to try to pick up the bag from the floor.
On Saturday we shifted over to Adam and Jo's house for the weekend because two other guests were arriving and the Alfreds needed more space. One couple was Keith and Carol Danby. Keith was Poppy's roommate in college and has been very involved with Lok Hospital from the start. They were here with another couple to participate in the ground-breaking ceremony for the new hospital building. I've heard about the Danbys for a long time, so it was wonderful to meet them. I especially loved talking one-on-one with Carol. She is so sweet.
On Sunday, I made the difficult decision to attend church with Adam and Jo, while Toby went to Bethesda (the Alfred's church). I wanted to hear Keith preach (although I did hear him speak at the ground-breaking ceremony), but Elise's bed and all our things were at the Black's flat and I knew Elise would enjoy a more relaxed worship service with her buddies Alistair and Freya... and then we'd have to be at the Black's for naptime. So... Elise and I went with the Blacks to the "happy-clappy" charismatic service (as Claire's mum would say) and Toby left from there to attend Bethesda's 3 hour service. I wasn't feeling well that day (terrible head cold) and enjoyed a nap at the Black's flat with Elise while Toby enjoyed a big lunch with everybody at the Alfred's house.
It was incredible to attend the charismatic service with their full band and lively singing with the words projected with Powerpoint on the wall. It was so similar to any contemporary worship service you might find in the states, but we were around the globe in Thane. It was quite amazing.
Then on Sunday evening after putting Elise to bed and leaving her in Jo's care, Toby and I went by Taxi into Bombay to attend a wedding reception. The groom was a guy Toby actually knows from Marquette, a second year resident named Sid. Sid is from Bombay but is taking time off for his wedding here in India. So, we hired a taxi and drove two hours to a spectacular hotel on the ocean. Sid and his bride were gorgeous in their traditional Indian attire, standing on a large stage taking picture after picture with their guests. Apparently at receptions, the couple takes pictures the whole time while the guests enjoy the buffet of food (which was AMAZING) and wait in line for their chance for a photo. Anyway, there's lots I could write about that, but I think I'll save the details for when we get home.
Speaking of home, I cannot believe we leave in five days! I'm already beginning to feel sad knowing that we'll have to say goodbye to the Alfreds and the Blacks. But, of course, I'm also soooo excited to return home. And I find it so strange that we'll be arriving to cold weather and the Christmas season. With our summer-like weather here in Thane, it seems more like the next holiday should be the 4th of July, not Christmas.
So, next on the calendar is dinner tonight with Andy and Sheeba (the couple who basically runs JSK), a shopping trip for last minute souvenirs, dinner at a restuarant tomorrow night to thank the Alfreds, followed by two nights in Bombay before returning back to Thane to pack and then get to the airport!
Oh, there is so much to tell! I look forward to sharing our stories in person.
Well, Josh and Ben will be home for lunch soon, so I should go. I'm in charge of lunch today because Claire is out with her mum. (FYI... I'm picking up many British terms! Like mum instead of mom and nappy instead of diaper. :)
Love from Elise's mum,
Andrea
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
So good to hear of your time in India! Know that we'll be praying for you guys as you prepare to return to the states. God's blessings and hand of safety be on you as you travel!
Love,
Uncle Tor
I hope when you get home you can post a few pictures. I'm sure you'll have lots of emotions as you are arriving home and get settled back into your USA routine - although some things are never the same once you experience such a different culture. Will look forward to seeing you in January.
Post a Comment