Monday, September 01, 2008

the harvest


These two books have been a big topic of conversation around our house recently. Both have encouraged us to eat as much local, fresh food as possible. If you're looking for a good non-fiction read and are interested in eating in a way that is healthy for both you and the planet, then I highly recommend these books.



This spread of food is just a portion of the food share we recieved last week from our CSA (community supported agriculture). It's been wonderful to have farm fresh produce each week from a local organic farm. It's also a challenge! Not wanting anything to go to waste, I'm always trying to use everything up. Plus, I've had to learn how to cook fresh beets, chard, kale, and other veggies I was somewhat unfamiliar with. Here's a new favorite salad recipe...
Greens with Roasted Beets
- Bowl full of mixed salad greens (romaine, arugula, etc.)
- 4-5 beets
- small handful of feta cheese
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- favorite vinaigrette, greek dressing, or good old oil and vinegar
1. Rinse beets and wrap together in foil. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. Allow to cool, then peel and chop.
2. Toss all ingredients together with dresssng of choice. YUM!

Our tomato jungle! We're hoping to have enough tomatoes to eat now and can for later.


Cherry tomatoes - Elise eats these by the handful. :)

1 comment:

Meg said...

Andrea, I loved the pictures of your veggies! We are planning to build a raised bed this fall for next spring. Our garden did ok, but think we can do even better next year. Great to see you all doing so well, Elise is BEAUTIFUL. Tobe is hanging in there? hugs to all, Meg