Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Elise's 1st day of Kindergarten

Elise started Kindergarten last week. Somehow my 5lb baby girl grew up and became a 5-year-old sweetheart who is apparently old enough to play a school kid for seven hours a day, five days a week (w/o her mommy!).

Her first week was wonderful. She was confident. Hopeful. A little nervous. Mostly thrilled.
She hopped out of bed. Moved quickly through the new morning routine. All smiles.


She selected her outfit with excitement (after dissing the very sweet and color coordinated outfit we had set out the night before). :)

She posed for photos.


Hung up her things.


Said good morning to Ms. Kern and proudly wore her name tag.


She made a fast friend and quickly made herself at home in her new classroom.

And at the end of the day, she greeted us with this amazing and confident smile.


Then faked a hug to end Claire's begging.

And again posed for photos around the school.




It was the perfect first day of school. The whole week was wonderful.

And then...

the honeymoon ended.


This week? Tears. Sobs. And a lot of "I don't want to go to school."

Last week in the cubby area a sweet but terrified little classmate of Elise's threw up all over the floor (and on my back) because she was so upset and nervous, and I thought, "Oh poor thing!" and "Thank goodness Elise is doing so well with school." (And "I'm very glad I have a t-shirt on under my sweatshirt.")

And this week... my sweet Elise is the one who looks terrified. Who cries and clings.

So this afternoon Elise and I had a much needed mommy daughter date, that involved a giant strawberry banana smoothie, good conversation, and a little jewelry shopping for a cheap but sweet little charm necklace. I think we made some progress. I'm hopeful for a tear free morning tomorrow...

for both of us. :)

No comments: