Friday, June 26, 2009

Our almost family of four...

GJ farmer's market, 6/25/09


It's 4:30am and I'm wide awake. I wish I could say that contractions were keeping me awake. But, the truth is... it's NOT having contractions that is keeping me awake. A couple of days ago I felt like my body was gearing up for birth and now I feel way too comfortable. I'm left wondering if contractions will slowly pick up and gradually lead to labor (a week from now?) or if real labor will come on suddenly (tomorrow?). Wonder. Wait. Wonder. Wait... Wish I had more control!

According to the Baby Ticker to the left on my blog, I have completed 40 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy with 3 more days to go! (???) It seems that every day after I reached my due date, it adds one more day until I'm "due." Yesterday it said that I was two days away; today it's three. Tomorrow it will read four. NOT funny! :)

My parents leave for the airport in 48 hours. I know it's still possible that they will meet their grandchild before they leave, but I am also trying to accept that they won't. I keep thinking of my Grandma Orange who after leaving Germany with her new American husband and baby boy then had six more children in the U.S. It wasn't until 15 years after her arrival that she was finally able to go back home to visit her family in Germany, alone. Tonight on the patio my mom recalled meeting her German grandmother for the first time when she was in her mid-twenties and six months pregnant with me. Unable to even speak the same language, they sat on the couch together, my great-grandmother repeating, "Cyndi kaputt (tired)?" My mom had the strange understanding that, not only was this the first time she would meet her grandmother, but also probably the last. And it was. I also think of our friend Martha from Kenya who recently had a baby boy and hasn't seen her family in over five years and so far any plans for her mother to visit have not worked out. So, who am I to complain?!

We've had a wonderful week together... hiking, talking, eating, laughing, playing with three precious girls. Another precious little one will join our family soon enough. I will be patient. I will be thankful. I will not dwell on what I cannot change. Maybe I have more control afterall...

6 comments:

Betsy D said...

Your blog made me cry honey! I'm so sorry. Hang in there!

JoLynn said...

Oh Andrea...I am feeling for you. It can be so stressful thinking of the timing of it all. Last summer I was one big stress ball, homeless and worried that John wouldn't make it to the birth of our baby due to him being on call and a good 40 or so minutes away from the hospital I was going to deliver at. I had talked with my dr. about possibly getting induced on a Friday to prevent that from happening and then Allie decided to arrive on the Wed. right before that. It worked out as good as it could have. It was such a relief. It will work out for you too, just try to relax and enjoy the company of your parents (much easier for me to say, I know). Wish we could be there to help you out! Miss you! Hang in there!

Sauer Family said...

I can only imagine the frustration you feel. I was in a similar boat--my sister Nancy was visiting from L.A when I was preggers with Ana and she positive I'd have the baby when she was here.. I was sad when Nancy left and still no baby...anyway 6 HOURS after she left, I went into labor!! The good thing is that my sister came back sooner than expected for a visit. Also on a positive note, just think of all your friends and family that have extra days to pray for a safe delivery!!

That said, I'm praying TODAY is the day we get to sing Happy Birthday to baby Long.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried S-E-X? lol!!

Kate said...

Not that it helps at 40+ weeks, but I do so like to believe that every baby has a moment-- that pause when the universe holds its breath and welcomes its birth-- and that your newest babe will come at exactly the right time.

That being said, castor oil is horrible-- don't do it;)

But still...glad you got some time with your mom and dad (they both look SO good!) and perhaps it will feel like an extra special visit for Elise, that last hooray before the fun and reorienting world of sibling-hood arrives:). I am sending loads of good birthing vibes your way right now, and am here to remind you no matter how great your ob is (I know she's on vacation-- and I so love mine too), its the nurses and Toby that will be there every step of the way anyhow, so you are going to have an amazing experience-- just trust you body and celebrate the miracle that is YOU and is birth and is...aw, I need to stop or I'm going to be begging Justin for number four;)

Love to you Andrea!!! xoxox

Kate said...

And if none of that makes you feel any better...there is always three hours of nipple stimulation that I hear will do the trick!

Ack!!!! :)