Thanks to Craigslist, Ikea, and even Meijer we have been able to furnish our new house without breaking the bank. But there was one purchase - after over ten years of marriage and the addition of three kids - that was definitely more of an investment. Made by Amish woodworkers in Ohio, our new table is sort of sacred space. Built to last. A place to gather, connect, converse.
I know this table isn't necessary. I remember well the card table we used in Princeton and the used table Toby pulled out of a dumpster. Our last "dining" table was actually a desk, complete with a keyboard drawer that I've stored bibs in now for five years. And all of these tables served us very well.
Our new table doesn't guarantee a happy family life or ensure our girls will answer the question, "how was school today?" (or eat their veggies, for that matter). And as much as I like the near perfection of this wood creation, I know it will get scratched, nicked, and colored on.
But I'm thankful for what it represents, grateful for any time we'll share around it and for those who will join us.



1 comment:
It's a beautiful table! And one that many good memories will happen around for years to come.
Post a Comment